Soft blondies spiced with the flavors of chai black tea and an extra boost of cinnamon. Warming flavors with an extra crackly layer of cinnamon sugar on top.
Blondies! I love blondies so much. They are basically like cookie dough baked into bars. All the texture of cookies without the trouble of chilling and rolling into balls.
These blondies are spiced with chai tea and extra cinnamon. The combination of ginger, cardamom, black pepper, and cinnamon make these blondies irresistible. A layer of cinnamon and sugar is also sprinkled on top before they go in the oven, so it bakes up like a crackly thin layer, making these chai snickerdoodle blondies a combination of crispy and soft.
At first, I wanted chai. I love the medley of spices. I even baked these cookies for the holidays. In both, I use actual chai tea in the batter, since it also adds the flavor of black tea. But the softness and slight chewiness of these snickerdoodle blondies make them a little different.
Since these blondies are already a medley of spice, I thought why not add some more? Snickerdoodle is one of my favorite types of cookies. I adore cinnamon. So, I added some cinnamon into the batter AND on top to give it extra snickerdoodle – ness.
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (150g) brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 chai tea bags
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (125g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C. Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment or grease with cooking spray or butter.
- 2. Stir the butter and brown sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla.
- 3. Sift in the contents of 2 chai tea bags, salt, cinnamon, and flour. Mix until just combined and spread into the pan.
- 4. For the crackly sugar layer on top, whisk white sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Evenly sprinkle over the batter.
- 5. Bake for 20-25 minutes.