Not-too-sweet muffins with a few simple swirls of cinnamon throughout. Just like a warm comforting cinnamon roll in muffin form!
Aren’t these muffins adorable? They look like exactly like a cinnamon roll transformed into a muffin. Instead of waiting for a yeast dough to proof and rise, these quickbread muffins are quick and no fuss, which means you get to eat them sooner!
I have to admit, I’m not the first person to think of these. I saw pictures online and decided I had to make them and also put my own spin on them. These muffins can very easily be made vegan. You can also add a cream cheese frosting, but I decided to opt out and keep them vegan.
Instead of just having a little swirl of cinnamon on top, I decided to add one in the middle so it would be more like eating an actual cinnamon roll. I also altered the recipe a little bit to make these more suitable as a grab and go breakfast or snack. They’re fluffy, cinnamon-y, and not too sweet. Since they’re in the wrapper, these muffins are also super portable!
They’re really easy to make. I loved layering in the batter with the cinnamon swirl, and the cinnamon mixture smelled so good! I almost couldn’t wait to eat these guys. Plus, they’re really good straight out of the oven, and the spices make the entire kitchen smell amazing.
You just start off with a layer of batter that fills about half the muffin tin, a simple batter that takes only a few minutes to whip up. Then, you make a cinnamon sugar mixture and put it in a zip top bag or a squeeze bottle. Squeeze a swirl of that, then top with another layer of batter, and finish off with another swirl of your cinnamon mixture!
Then it’s off to the oven to bake for a quick 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Wait for them to cool before eating them.
- 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
- 1/4 cup (56g) oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (180g) milk of choice
- 1 and 1/2 cups (185g) white whole wheat flour (all purpose works too)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons hot melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F/ 180 C. Line a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar for the muffin batter. Add in egg, vanilla, and milk and whisk until well combined.
- 3. Add in flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and ginger and whisk until just combined.
- 4. To make the cinnamon mixture, stir together the hot coconut oil and sugar. Mix in cinnamon.
- 5. Fill all your muffin cups halfway with batter, and add a swirl of cinnamon mixture. Fill up the cups to the top with batter, then finish off with another cinnamon swirl.
- 6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.